Search This Blog

April 19, 2009

The Finca- Day Four


by annie

After breakfast, I sat down on the floor to put on my boots. I tried to touch my toes. Instead, I touched my knees, and barely. My muscles were extremely tight, but less sore than yesterday. Progress!

I felt a new peace about me today. Yesterday was hump day and three days must have been the magic I needed to overcome mental resistance to physical labor. I found a rhythm in my work today. Four hours of vigorous weeding passed by without much thought of the time. I relaxed into the work instead of focusing on the difficulty. And I very much enjoyed being outside, using my body and having this experience. We are learning so much!

This morning, I planted veggie starters in little pots, pruning them as I went. The joyful process of potting plants convinced me, after just an hour, that I shall grow my own food one day. While weeding, I unearthed a thick, stocky worm and then watched, disturbed, as ants a fraction of his size began to attack. I tried to help the worm, but the ants sneakily clung to his belly, out of my reach and making it hard for the worm to walk, poor thing. Why are ants so mean?

I'm still shaking from my afternoon of weeding, and it's a great feeling. Life is slower here, and I'm realizing how overdue it is: the time for reflection and being still and simple. I become more and more relaxed each day, as if the clean air and physical exertion is a slow detox from rhythms of cities and 9-to-5's and other worries of typical routines.

2 comments:

  1. Sure it takes some getting used to, this manual labor gardening stuff. And sometimes you may find yourself thinking that this back-to-the-earth crap was better as a theory. But then you'll start noticing that you can pick out several bird songs at once, and that you like watching earth worms, and that you know that someone somewhere has had to weed the veggie plots from every organic piece of food you've ever eaten and you appreciate it. It's such a beautiful experience you're having, enjoy every single up and down of it. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds refreshing and tiring at the same time. Miss and love!

    ReplyDelete