Search This Blog

October 10, 2009

I'm finally here

It all started my freshman year of college. My friends and I went to "Taste of Thai" for dinner at least twice a week. We had a crush on our waiter and he told us all the lovely things about Thailand. We told him we'd visit someday.

My senior year of college, I spent my time scooping up dog poop and walking high-end poodles on treadmills so I could save up to go to China. I even had my plane ticket. For reasons I won't mention here, that trip fell through.

Three and a half years ago, engaged to the wrong man, we planned our honeymoon to Vietnam. We even had our plane tickets. Since we canceled the wedding at the last minute, a trip abroad together didn't quite seem right.

Folks, I've been trying to get to Asia for a long time. I'm finally here.

It should come as no surprise, then, that I absolutely love Thailand. Each day, I choke back tears of joy just because I'm actually here. I might be taking the express boat down the river to visit a temple; I could be walking down a street lined with carts selling food I've never seen before; Or I could be exchanging deep smiles with the friendly people here. And it hits me hard: here I am, where I've wanted to be for so long. I'm finally, finally here.


If you missed my account of Budapest, click HERE. And stay tuned for my adventures in Bangkok!

3 comments: