Search This Blog

March 23, 2010

Fantastic Finale: 24 hours in Egypt

My flight from Mumbai to NY gave me a night layover in Cairo. Bonus! After failed attempts at navigating the bus system, I surrendered and hailed a cab to take me to the pyramids of Giza. Since it was my last day out in the world, I abandoned my usual budget-minded tactics (when else would I have a chance to see the pyramids?). I only arrived 30 minutes prior to closing and fought swarms of people to get next to the Sphinx. The other pyramids I had to admire from a distance.



I tasted a local specialty, kusherie- it's a mixture of rice, lentils, macaroni pasta, fried onions, garbanzo beans and tomato sauce. MMMMM!



I walked around the city a little and really enjoyed riding through the streets and seeing the tops of minarets and beautiful mosques jutting above the fog (or smog?).

Back at JFK, I returned full circle to the airport Brian and I departed from on our way to Spain one year ago! Post-travel reflections to follow.

If you missed a bizarre meditation laser-light show experience during my final days in India, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment